Monday, August 10, 2009

JPs Java- Round 2

So here I am once again at JPs Java in Austin, Tx... the birth place of my blog. About fifteen months ago I set up camp in a cozy corner of this coffee palace establishing an outlet for my camp experience. Although I have a mere 14 posts (laaaame), this blog has subtly stirred my passion for writing once again. So please accompany me as I attempt to express my thoughts of the day.

First of all, I think you should know that I am eating a cookie right now. Not a weak, flat, should-have-bought-the-better-brand-chocolate-chips cookie, but a hefty sized, packed with dough, only goliath could fit the whole thing in his mouth at once cookie. It is fantastic.

Second of all, I just dropped off Otha at the airport (could possibly contribute to the cookie consumption). Not an easy task. I apologize to anyone present at the Austin airport this morning and having to witness "that couple". Yep- the couple that has eyes locked on each other, sappy smiles, hand holding as if superglue exploded all over their fingers. Usually I am ultra conscious to not be that couple, however this morning was so worth not caring... maybe I should have just worn a shirt saying: sorry everyone- he's leaving for 10 months. TEN MONTHS. I could have a baby in that amount of time- long time. Although I have been aware of this inevitable occurance all summer, it's still difficult to wrap my mind around such a long period of time being away from each other. No phone calls, random texts through out the day, hiking together, hangin out with him and the roommates... nothin. I am so thankful that we have email and skype these days. Aaaand I am pretending that he is simply studying abroad. twice.

Despite the hardship of being apart, there's a whole slew of things that excited me about this upcoming season! I mean come on, Otha gets to experience the rich culture of Morocco! Through teaching and living in the community, he will gain a deeper understanding of a Muslim lifestyle, concoction of linguistic influence, and new aspects of God's character. It's exciting to think of how much he will grow over the next year! In the land of College Station I will also be able to truly focus on my community without spending all my time with a cool kid named Otha. This will allow sweet, sweet time with my roommates and friends. Also, being involved with IJM, Comchurch, work, and what was that other one? oh yea-school, will soak up my time like a sponge... naturally not leaving much left to spend with a boyfriend. So there are definite blessings to us being apart and not having a distraction, yet still be able to pour into each other in creative, God glorifying ways.

Third of all, it's beautiful to think back a year ago and how much God has done in my life. I am so thankful for the people in my community- their honesty, compassion, and consistency. Last fall a woman who I respect immensely sat me down and talked through a thick list of things that I needed to surrender/work on. Although overwhelming at the time, God has changed so many of those things in my life. I have learned to rest, slow down, spend time with my roommates, not feel like I need to be close to every person I meet, not find my affirmation in guys, not thinking I am the best version of Jesus, not mandating myself to constantly be productive, the list goes on and on! I still have a long way to go, but it's encouraging to see how much more I appreciate the little things in life. Surprisingly enough, life a mile a minute has taken it's toll on me. It's great to stroll for awhile and take in my surroundings instead of sprinting to my next destination, then the next, then the next... ugh exhausting just typing about it.

Reflecting on the past gives me so much hope for the future. If God refined that much last year, how much more can he refine me in the years to come! I hope to continue finding a balance between involvement and rest, take further steps towards my desire to open a cosmetology school, and love people thoroughly this next semester. It's gonna be a solid senior year ladies and gentlemen.

Well my cookie has now been defeated. My energy- emotionally & physically- has also been defeated... so I am going to take a glorious nap.

Oh & I should mention I am soooo excited to see Peggy, Tina, & Ellen TOMORROW.... whoop for tennesse, kentucky, & michigan. Work at a camp. Make cool friends.

Until the next cookie... goodnight.

3 comments:

juliette said...

wow, what a year it has been my friend! so glad i got to be apart of it =)

The Sandefur's said...

you are a great writer =). thanks for sharing all this girl.

Anonymous said...

I would have traded my seat on the plane with that cookie in a heart-beat Becca Wilson!!! And Lindsey's right. You are a really great writer. Do it more!